My 11 Reflections on 2011
My 11 Reflections on 2011:
1. I learned that determination gives way to conquering any obstacle in my way. I think I knew this before, but I really proved it to myself in 2011 when I trained for and ran my first marathon!
2. I learned that team work in a large family is the most beautiful thing to watch :) and to be a part of!
3. I learned who my true friends are and was able to open up and meet new ones too! Trust is a really big issue for me. It always has been! This past year I took some good risks!
4. I realized that life is short and extended family is important. Different views, lack of trust and family drama has stopped me from connecting in the past, but late in the year, I was able to make teeny steps towards family reunion.
5. I learned that love truly conquers all. If love is your main focus, with no hidden agenda, no matter the issue or decision at hand, love will always guide you to make the right decision.
6. I learned that I love being a “stay at home working mom.” This is how I’ve always described myself and it’s how I love to live! I love being at home with my kids SO much – cooking, baking (if I have to), packing lunches, caring for my kids and our home, but I also love the satisfaction and provision that working hard brings me. I love waking up everyday wondering what work opportunities will come my way! I am truly happy in both roles!
7. I learned true independence. I built a “barn door,” figured out how to hang pictures, moved furniture, purchased and learned how to use my own drill, and took control. I decided I won’t wait for men anymore.. I’ll take care of it all by myself! ;) (…Now if only I could figure out how to get this Christmas tree out of here….?!)
8. I learned support and encouragement! I realized for the first time ever how many people whom I’ve met only “virtually” really truly support me and my kids, pull for us and encourage us! When I joined twitter in April and then started my website in September, I met some of the most amazing fans ever… And there’s SO many of you! Who knew??!! On down days, you pick me up. On up days, you praise and congratulate me! I thank each of you deeply for your amazing outpouring of kindness and love!
9. I learned that being a single mom is the MOST difficult and often the scariest job ever. Eight children are relying largely on me to guide them, shape them, and care for their needs on a daily basis. In 2011, I felt the weight of this responsibility finally “settle in” and I don’t take it lightly. It’s a huge job and I often feel unworthy of such an important task!
10. I learned that connecting with other moms on a personal level is very exciting and rewarding! Through modern technology I have met and learned so many great things from so many moms who are doing the same things I am daily! It’s so great to put our heads together and learn from each other isn’t it? In 2012, I’d love to further my passion to help moms get into shape! I want to find a way to help more moms start running, and take back that lost desire to take care of themselves! Taking care of mom trickles down to taking better care of your entire family!
11. And last, but certainly not least, is our health–
Nearly daily, I remember how blessed I am to have eight children who are 100% healthy – from birth as preemies to the present. I am also hugely blessed that I am also healthy and (mostly) able to keep up the physical pace required to care for eight busy kids! At the dinner table each night, we thank God for our health and remember to pray for family and friends who are struggling. It’s hard to teach kids not to take their health for granted! And beyond that, I don’t want my kids to forget to be thankful for physical provisions too – or as we say – “food on our table and a dry roof over our heads” – but hopefully by watching me treat each day as a gift, my kids will catch on too and will “unwrap” each day with great gratitude and anticipation!
Praying for a healthy, happy and productive 2012 for all! Go get ‘em…!!