Birthday Musings

My birthday? I slept very late, so did my husband. Opened my gifts: Jo Malone orange blossom cologne and a Cuisinart combination blender/food processor. I nearly fainted over both! Husband made me a cappuccino while I spoke to my mom and sister on the phone. We spent the day relaxing, eating, watching true crime shows. Then I ran to Target for random junk we needed for the house. Husband is making me a special supper tonight.

I tell you all this because the Gosselin kids have been on my mind a lot today.

As I was driving home from Target, I was thinking about what a wonderful relaxing day it has been. My favorite kind of birthday. If it were my last birthday on this earth, I would be content with the kind of day it has been.

I realized why I enjoyed today so much: it was unplanned, leisurely, entirely at our own pace. We did what we liked, when we liked. I could just relax and just be ME: 38 years old ME. I could throw my hair up in a bun and run out to Target and not have to worry about anyone seeing me. (But oh, do I smell good!)

We'll relax and have a lovely dinner tonight. I didn't have to nag and cajole my husband into making me a birthday supper. He didn't make a big production out of getting the groceries for it.

And that is what the Gosselin children are being deprived of: the joys of being a Private Citizen. Anyone who ever dreams of fame and stardom would do well to remember how much we all take being "private" for granted. It's one hell of a trade-off, even when you are an adult and capable of making the decision to make that trade for yourself. Kids don't have that privilege when their parents are money-grubbing famewhores with a taste for free ski trips to Utah and weekly visits to the spa.

You know what? That's a damned crying shame, the life those kids are leading, the life that was thrust upon them. I contrast my wonderful 38th today with the "Smile! Smile for the cameras! Smile, dammit!" birthdays the tups and twins have had to endure ever since Lord and Lady Cha-Ching realized that the GimmeGimme train was in their A, B, C, D, E, F, and G station.

This Private Citizen will tell Kate Gosselin to her face that there ain't no way the way those kids are being forced to live is any better. Give me my anonymous trip to Target and a private dinner for just my husband and me ANY day.


Submitted by Thalia Menninger

11 comments:

ThreeFarmers said...

That sounds like a perfect day.

Anonymous said...

I love your post. Nope, the G's will never know those pleasures of real life. Don't know that they ever knew them. I have a feeling that Katie Irene ruins every occasion (at least since her marriage) with her personality.

Happy Birthday!

ScarySkierNewJersey said...

Happy Birthday! I love low key birthdays. Kuddos to your hubby for making it a nice day.

I feel bad for the kids as well. When they are all dressed alike and out in group it just seems like they are "on display." I would imagine 80% of the time they have have Figure 8 crews tailing along behind them and that just draws more attention. I wonder just how much they go out sans camera crew? Sad to say they will never know what it is like to be a "normal family" just because they are sextuplets first of all and secondly because of the circus atmosphere their parents have pushed them into. It will be very interesting to see where this all ends. I hope they do follow up shows like we get on Brittney and Abbey or The Dilly's to see how they are progressing into the teenage years. I think Mady and Cara are already showing their true feelings as in the last few TV appearances I have seen via You Tube neither looks happy. In People and GH candid shots neither looks to thrilled. I am sure they feel lost in the shuffle and resent the attention the tups get, their parents constant traveling and the TV show. Will be interesting to say the least.

Anonymous said...

What you wrote reminded me of an article I just read about actor Michael Cera in Entertainment Weekly. He commented about loving acting, but hating celebrity and that to be comfortable with celebrity seems weird to him. That Kate and Jon are comfortable pushing their young children into the world of celebrity scares me.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect birthday to me. Too bad Kate is such a narcissistic control freak that she ruins every occasion for her family - including her kids' birthdays. And we've seen that on the air! She has not one frigging clue she is such a destructive force. Someone needs to remove her to an undisclosed location for awhile to give her kids and us a break.

Anonymous said...

Well, Happy Birthday! My husband and I, and our best friends get together for each of our birthdays, and go out to dinner. The birthday guy/girl gets to pick the place. We line up a babysitter, and head out for a nice relaxing dinner, with great conversation, which usually gets us all laughing. I so look forward to these four nights during the year. KON will never know that simple pleasure because they have alientated every friend and family member they ever have. I guess that's enough for them, and they certainly have their priorities, but the whole sorted mess makes me appreciate my very close friends and family even more.

C said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like the perfect day. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. But more so than worrying the kids are deprived of privacy (although that is a HUGE issue) I am much more concerned they are being deprived of SAFETY!!!! Doesn't this woman Kate know she is exposing her children to all kinds of predators who could take advantage of the personal information she shares during every single episode. Again, she is concerned about the names being revealed on their backpacks at the airport, but she is willing to let the entire country know their names, faces, personalities, likes, dislikes, weaknesses, etc. Is nothing sacred? No child should be so exposed to the judgement and whims of others who might be obsessed with them. So scary.

Rosemary Woodhouse said...

Part of the reason why I allowed GWOP to post this here is to dispel, for me anyway, this straw argument of "You're just JEALOUS of Kate Gosselin."

No, really, nothing could be further from the truth. I love my life, I love the way I have chosen to live it, and I am completely comfortable with my place in this world. I am content. I have peace of mind. I have goals that are entirely contingent upon my own personal efforts. I don't need to compete with others, or be jealous of anyone, because I am the creator of my own life, and I am very happy with what I have created.

I don't think that any of the same could be said for Kate Gosselin. In fact, I think Kate Gosselin is one of the most miserable people, in all ways possible, that I have witnessed in a long time. Ordinarily, I wouldn't care, and say that it is up to her to change her life, but she visits her misery and discontent on eight innocent children. That's just wrong.

Jealous of Kate? Why would I be? I have everything I want. Everything I need. I love my life. I don't need a television show documenting my every fart for self-validation. My happiness comes from within.

Thalia Menninger (changed my name for Halloween to Rosemary Woodhouse)

On Pointe said...

Lord and Lady Cha-Ching lol

Anonymous said...

Regarding the "Ugly" comment, that Kate made regarding Maddy. I took it to mean her mood was ugly, not the child's physical appearance. Where I grew up, in New England, that is a common expression regarding someone's mood. My mother, huband, father, siblings, friends etc... have all used the expression "Oh he/she was really ugly this morning." meaning he or she was in a bad mood. I don't take it to mean that Kate was calling Maddy's appearance ugly.

But please keep in mind, I am NOT a Kate supporter. In fact Kate is ugly a lot of the time especially in the way she talks to Jon.