When it comes time for the Gosselins to reminisce...

I have been a lurker on here for over a month but this is my first time posting. I do have to say I think this blog is fantastic and I am glad it exists so we all know there are a LOT of us out there who feel the exact same way concerning this show!!

I just wanted to share a little of my family history/story with you all. My parents were high school sweethearts who married following graduation in 1949 at the age 18. By the time they were 28, they had 6 children. I am one of triplets. My parents already had 3 children and were not planning on having any more but God must have decided to bless my parents anyway with the three of us! This was in 1958 before fertility treatments so we were conceived naturally at a time when triplets were more rare (we were the first triplets born in this particular hospital in San Diego and born on on our father's 28th birthday to boot!). My parents did not even know they were having triplets until 6 WEEKS before we were born, because back then there were no ultrasound machines and x-rays were finally taken to confirm it! And we were full term; I weighed 6 lbs and my sisters weighed more than that).

My older siblings were age 5, 7 and 8 when we were born and they couldn't WAIT to assist my mother, each picking one of us to take care of and help my mom. My father worked in men's clothing all his life and money wasn't always plentiful. But we never went without and my mom found ways to make the dollar stretch. In addition, our mom made EACH AND EVERY ONE of us to feel special and she NEVER picked favorites, (UNLIKE some OTHER mother of multiples I know...coughcoughkategosselincough cough..)

What we lacked in money and other material things, my mother more than made up for it with unconditional love and affection and special one-on-one times for ALL of us. This was also BEFORE disposable diapers and cloth diapers were used, how in the world would Kate handle something like THAT?! My mom also worked part time and then full time as we started attending school and as we grew. But she would come home from a long day (ON HER FEET as she worked in retail) and make meals from scratch, because this was also in the days before microwaves, so there was no easy cooking back then (although Hamburger Helper came along & my mom took advantage of that!).

My mother and father taught all 6 of us what it means to love one another, respect one another and help each other and how to be successful in life. You can't put a price tag on that! My siblings and I have always had a close relationship and we have our parents to thank for that. Sadly, our father passed away one month ago from Alzheimer's and our mother is currently in a nursing home but we visit her daily. And do you know what we often talk about while there? We talk about our 'great' childhood and reminisce about this or that, always with a big smile on our faces or laughing out loud at the memories. I can't help wondering if this will be something the Gosselin children will be able to do when its THEIR time to visit Kate or Jon near the end of their lives, whenever that time comes.

I just want to make a couple more comments concerning Kon. Granted, I know they don't film the family 24/7 but I was thinking recently (& I don't know if this has been brought up before or not) but they NEVER show Jon or Kate READING to the children before bedtime?? Jon could be in the boy's room reading a story to them and Kate could be in the girl's room reading a story to the girls. Or, better yet! Mix it up and have KATE READ TO THE BOYS and Jon read to the girls! Nah, you're probably right; that would be asking too much of Kate!

I'd also like to see Kate working a full time job and THEN coming home to cook a meal (w/o help from a microwave, etc) for her large family, all by herself. But you're right, that'll never happen either.

It really really bothers me that Kate is more concerned that the kids look so 'cute' and 'nice' in their outfits, at the expense of them not having fun on the grass, using crayons and markers, making and eating cupcakes, etc. Cupcakegate REALLY bothered me the most because Kate said on the confessional couch that having to change the kids out of their Sunday school outfits and into other clothes when they were going to the bakery "would be a hassle" and she had a totally annoyed look on her face as she said it. And all I could think was "this woman is incredibly selfish and only thinking of HERSELF and not how much more fun this would have been for the kids!!"(IMO).

Okay, I think I have rambled on enough, thanks again for having this blog! I hope to post in the near future!

Blog entry created from a
comment by Janet.

23 comments:

Tootie said...

Janet, thank you for sharing your story and telling us about your wonderful parents. I have my doubts if any of the Gosselin children will ever be able to write such kind words about their own parents.

Growing up we knew a lot of large families that didn't have microwaves, automatic washing machines, or any help raising all their children, yet they did it and they did it well. I think the most unique thing about the Gosselins, is that they think they are unique.

I was just thinking that I have not seen Kate do anything besides throw together some minor meals or snacks and sweep the floor. I really doubt she does much more than that. I think the reason Kate is always snapping at Jon, is because she knows in her own mind that she doesn't measure up, that she is not such a great mom and she tries to cover it up by complaining so much.

iluveeyore said...

We saw Kate putting together "15" meals for when she went for her tummy tuck. We've also seen her do waffles (two at a time!) and pancakes (from a RECIPE).

I truly don't understand what the problem was at the bakery. They put on full size aprons while they were still on the street, in front of the bakery. Why? Kate didn't want the aprons to get dirty either. How bizarre.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing that Jon and Kate can do to satisfy the criticizers on this blog. The tups are wonderful, the show is terrific and it is as good as it gets.

SmartyQ said...

'There is nothing that Jon and Kate can do to satisfy the criticizers on this blog. The tups are wonderful, the show is terrific and it is as good as it gets.' (emphasis added)
______________________

Holy moley! That's scary

pokie said...

anonymous (August 4, 2008 10:09 AM) said: 'There is nothing that Jon and Kate can do to satisfy the criticizers on this blog.'

As if they care. They're vacationing on Maui.

Anonymous said...

I'm not really sure that they will ever grow up to appreciate things. That's what I'm afraid of. My mom had 4 daughters and was a stay at home mom. Because she decided to stay at home and homeschool all 4 of us, that made for very little money in my house. We always wore handmedowns from my cousins (who were rich, so they were nice clothes) and we appreciated it every time we got a new bag of clothes. My parents also saved up every year to take us on vacation, but we always drove. Because we were homeschooled we could go at any time of the year so things were a little cheaper when we went. I will never forget my childhood. It was awesome.

But I'm afraid that these children won't know what to do with themselves once the cameras go off. I mean, I'm sure that if I were in their situation I would have done anything to get a little bit more money, but enough is enough. It's time for them to start school. It's time for them to interact with other children their age and to grow, mentally, if for nothing else.

I really do feel sorry for them because now it's not going to be so easy to quit the show and things are just going to get worse.

Anonymous said...

As 1 of 6, and the cousin & Nanny of triplets, I can appreciate this blog. My parents also used cloth diapers, and skimped by... but my brothers and I can all laugh and laugh at the fun we had growing up. We were such resourceful young people, without all those toys to entertain us.
...I was actually just thinking to myself today, prior to reading your entry that I'd never seen Kon read to their children. If I were to have cameras following me around at work, you'd see me reading to the babies as a group and as individuals, several times during the day. They love it!

AnnaK said...

Kon doesn't have time to read to the kids, they are too exhausted or they are busy asking for handouts.

Anonymous said...

Dear Secret Monkey and Grammier!

My husband "golfs" quite a bit.

The key word here is GOLFS! I was criticized to death for saying, "He went GOLFING."

See, believe it or not, there is no such word - except in KON'S vocabulary!

e.g. He plays golf, He went to play golf, He's playing golf today, How was your golf game?
NEVER "golfING"!

Your re-cap was fantabulous - one of the BEST yet!

A well written re-do like this makes life worth living. Honest! THANX!

alana

ALANA said...

OH HAPPY DAY!

WHAT A WONDERFUL DAY!

I just read the entry that says KON are vacationing on MAUI!!! YIPEEE!

I live on Oahu and have been living in absolute terror that they would come here.

On the other hand, I was dying to hear how Kate would pronounce "Waikiki"; like WHA-ki-ki!

Then there's "MAHALO", which means "thank you"; fat chance we'd hear that one from any of the Gross-lings! (I only made that one up in reference to the family's frequent bad manners.)

ALOHA!
alana

Anonymous said...

Actually, its not factual to say that only Kon use the term "golfing" There is even a website titled golfing.com

GreatLakesmom said...

Okay, I'm guilty...I've said "went golfing" as my entire family has and let's face it, it's not a big deal.
It's nice that the kids look nice but let's get them out of the GAP clothes and into something from Children's Place, Target, or even Walmart that still look nice but you won't die if they get dirty.
I was one of five, three bedrooms and ONE bath. My dad had nine siblings with one and 1/2 baths. I live in a little house. My master bedroom is the size (if not smaller) of the twins study room. My three kids share the other two smaller bedrooms. One bathroom and we make it just fine.

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered why we don't see them reading to the kids. Then finally, on one episode, I saw Kate reading to a couple of the tups in the garage while perched in the infamous plastic chair. I think it would be great to see them read more or maybe even have Mady and Cara read to them. My eight year old loves to read to my two year old. Hey, maybe if they Kon read more, then Jon would know how to spell A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M.

Anonymous said...

"I think it would be great to see them read more or maybe even have Mady and Cara read to them."

It would be nice to see the twins or J & K reading a bedtime story to the tups. I am curious to know how many times J & K have actually read their family mission statement to the children? Other than in the one episode that was for tv purposes only. In the 'day in the life' of the Gimme More Gosselins there are more important things to do. Like planes to catch, speaking engagements,unloading the boxes of freebies, amusement parks , personal trainers, spa visits etc.

Anonymous said...

re: reading

Maybe they aren't shown reading to the kids because of copywrite issues? Someone get a children's book publisher on the line, we need a freebee on the copywrite!

Anonymous said...

"Cupcakegate REALLY bothered me the most because Kate said on the confessional couch that having to change the kids out of their Sunday school outfits and into other clothes when they were going to the bakery "would be a hassle" and she had a totally annoyed look on her face as she said it."

My question for Kate is this - why aren't your children helping you in dressing themselves? It's not fair to compare one to another but both my children were able to undress and dress themselves (easy clothes) by age 3, can put on their own coats, and are about 50-60% of the time correct with their shoes.

If getting them changed is such a hassle and the reason that is preventing them from being able to enjoy themselves and be kids then why don't you work with them to help them learn to dress themselves? It would make their lives a heck of a lot easier.

Anonymous said...

Classic moment of tonight's new show was when Kate said, "Nobody wants to sit by me today." and Jon replied hastily "Because you're a grouch" *LOL*....You can't get any better than that!!!

Anonymous said...

"I'd also like to see Kate working a full time job and THEN coming home to cook a meal (w/o help from a microwave, etc) for her large family, all by herself. But you're right, that'll never happen either."

I don't understand this comment. I think it's great that she stays home and raises her kids instead of dumping them off at daycare or a babysitter's house. I personally think it's MUCH easier to go off to work and then come home a few hours before the kids go to bed. That goes for a mom with any amount of kids.

And let's just remember...we see a tiny SNAPSHOT of Kon's life. It's edited material as well. I'm not saying they're right or wrong but let's face it...we don't know what really goes on there except for what we see a half hour a week. ANY of us could be edited and made to look a certain way, let's be real here. Maybe people are so uptight about Kon because you see some of yourself in the things they do. Nobody's perfect right? I find it hard to believe that people don't bicker with their spouse, yell at their kids, and freak out about things in general.

And no, I am not a Kon lover. I enjoy the show at times but I don't really care either way honestly.

sabrinasmom said...

I think it's great that she stays home and raises her kids instead of dumping them off at daycare or a babysitter's house.

Kate is NOT raising her children. She has a nanny to do that. Kate is not cooking for her children she has an organic cook for that. She has other minions, including her husband and camera crew to deal with her children.

I agree that we see an edited version of their lives, but if this season is 40 episodes, there is a lot of material to work with.

Kate has better things to do like get her hair frosted, go to the spa, speaking engagements, and finding ways to make money off of her children to actually raise them.

That's why this show is such a joke. This is not "their story" as they would suggest. "Their story" should include all the staff and extra help they have raising their children.

No, I am not jealous or a hater, I just dislike the deception. A deception, that apparently has been around from the BEGINNING. When Kate decided that they shouldn't have to use their own money to raise their children and when she deemed it "society's" responsibility to do so.

Janet said...

Anonymous 9:05 pm,

When I wrote that comment about I'd like to see KATE working a FULL TIME job and THEN coming home each night to make a meal FROM SCRATCH for her family, (in the days before microwaves, etc) is because that's what MY mom did for so many years as I had described in my post. My parents had 6 children so my mom had to make a meal big enough for the 8 of us each and every night. And trips to McDonald's or other fast food places was a rarity and treat in our family and not the norm. So I was comparing what my mom did versus how easy Kate has it today with all her help.

funkycatt said...

Hey, great thoughts. I think it is great that you are speaking out to say that you can be a multiple and a member of a big family and still have a great life. Your dad managed to support you, and your mother managed to care for you without TV sponsorship. Without handouts that you looked down upon as not name brand or non-matching.

I won’t get into my whole story here, but I am the second oldest of 7, there were times when my dad was unemployed or worked as a janitor, my mother was always a stay at home mom. Neither of them are perfect (who is) but we never went to bed hungry or unloved and that is what counts.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
There is nothing that Jon and Kate can do to satisfy the criticizers on this blog. The tups are wonderful, the show is terrific and it is as good as it gets.
________________

Oh my goodness, this can't be a serious post, just can't be.

Anonymous said...

I am so tired of watching these two reap the best of everything of the backs of their children. Who paid for this beach house that is 3 stories tall that has now been in two episodes. He got hair plugs, she got a tummy tuck, a ski vacation, she has an organic chef who cooks for her everyday provided by the show.

I have a 40 yr old son who had a stroke and I retired early to take him daily to rehab. I can barely afford the gas anymore to get him there. Why do I want to see a mean spirited woman who had a bunch of eggs implanted in her and was fortunate enough to get 6 healthy kids make money off their backs.

There is never any time spent they are practically thrown into bed at night light off walk out close door. They have an 8 yr old with obvious problems, Mady, who has become so jealouse she constantly acts out. And good luck to them because in tonights episode the kids were hungry and she came in and said "You know instead of cleaning crab legs you could be getting dinner ready".

Don't know if you saw the land they were looking at to move further south to warmer weather it was in some episode. Acres and Acres of land, hmmmm, he works at home (joke) from a computer in his closet and they can afford hundreds of acres of land to build a new house on?

I watch it every week just to see if I can find any redeeming ethics in either one of them and I can't. They have 4 year olds who talk like babies and they will keep them that way because it plays well on tv.

You Tube the land of the idiots, has a thousand videos people have made going on and on about how wonderful they are and blah blah blah. I wonder if they know she got her sister in law (who willingly took 8 kids so she could go with John for his hair transplant) kicked off the show because TLC was going to have to pay her because she was onscreen more than x minutes and Kind Hearted Kate said NO NO NO no one will make money off these kids but me so she is longer on the show.

I have to stop or I will still be typing next Tuesday. There are so many things about the show and her in particular that makes me crazy.