Organic "Monkey Munch" and Fingernails on the Dinner Table

I am not going to deny the entertainment encompassed into the 30 to 60 minute episodes of "Jon and Kate plus 8". In fact, the debauchery is quite entertaining a good percentage of the time. However, my entertainment derives from the children, not the adults. And that in and of itself is something that I consider disturbing. I am not entertained by Jon and Kate's "insightful" couch talks, in fact, their "couch confessionals" usually make me cringe. Many of the comments made by Jon, specifically, liken my emotions to the sensation I feel when I watch an awkward moment on NBC's "The Office." The main difference is that "The Office" is scripted to be awkward, Jon and Kate seemingly create the awkwardness all on their on. An example that stands out most to me is the comment made by Jon in one of the original specials... something to the effect of "I want to take a paper cutter and cut her stomach off" (not an exact quote).

The plot deepens when people all over the nation are listening to these two as if Zeus had sent a message from the mountain. Having babies does not make a person an eligible "advice giver," especially when the person giving advice, at the cost of their children's dignity and "love offerings" by faithful church goers, has no idea what they are talking about. Why do I say that Jon and Kate Gosselin have no idea what they are talking about? It is really quite simple. People are mostly impressed by the Gosselins because of the apparent organization that they have over a household that seems as if it should be chaotic. The truth is quite obvious... they actually have no control over their household. This is evidenced by the fact that they don't actually do anything for themselves and when they do something for themselves it is derived from money raised by plastering their naked children sitting on toilets on national television. Their sense of entitlement is disgusting and the micromanagement of their household is not as up to par as they would like to portray it....

Kate Gosselin prides herself on feeding her children organic food because of the health benefits. That is wonderful and I am sure that this has influenced at least one family to do the same. Problem is that folloing Kate's influence and eating organic isn't going to save any lives. In fact, following Kate's prompt will actually contribute to the leading cause of deaths in this country... heart disease. Am I the only one that got a load of the amount of butter that this woman uses. It is slathered on the bread and in the baked goods that she is always making. Wonderful influence on America, Kate! And I notice that someone said something about this before: "sugar is sugar." I don't think that Kate has any idea what "organic" means. It doesn't mean that I can sit there and eat a bag of chocolate chips and powdered sugar and still be healthy.

The thing that most annoys me is the "cleanliness" issue. Any person that cuts fingernails on the kitchen table and removes staples from her husband's head at the dinner table is not a "clean freak." In fact, I nearly gagged when she started clipping fingernails while the kids were sitting around the table eating.

All of this being said, Jon and Kate Gosselin are human beings, like me, and are not perfect. In addition to this, they have the daunting but blessed task of raising eight beautiful children. They may be doing the best that they can with the cards that they have been dealt, but until you are willing to have camera crews come in and watch your kid poop every day, I don't think you can truly align yourselves with this pair, because these two are truly one of a kind.

Specifically, I find issue with those people that "only have two children" and who are constantly insulted by Kate, who seems to think that parents with only a normal amount of children have it easy, but still support the woman. News flash Kate, people with one, two, three, or even eight children (not multiples) will never receive the privileges that you and your flock have...

Now to answer the ever persistent question: "Why watch the show if you hate it?" As stated at the beginning of this post, I am in fact entertained by the children. Their adorableness is undeniable. The truth is that I do sometimes feel "wrong" by watching the show because the children really are being exploited, however, I am not perfect and I do continue to watch the show, just like some of the people who disagree with my post have continued to read it.

Reprinted with permission from Mrs. Ricardo.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

"She is always making meals with butter ?" We see this family eat a meal maybe once every few shows. Unless we saw what she feeds her kids every day 24/7, I don't know how anyone can accuse her of feeding these kids straight to a death of heart disease. The organic obsession among Kate haters is really laughable because seeing what they eat for one day every few weeks on the show doesn't back it up.

Anonymous said...

Your article is well written and has many excellent point but I do disagree on one point. The kids are NOT adorable. They lost the cuteness factor long ago. That, coupled with the fact they are whiny brats, makes them far from adorable.

As far as the butter, let's not forget the Christmas Monkey Bread "seething in butter". I guess Kate likes to make food with the word "monkey" in it. How appropriate ;-) Monkeys are better behaved than her brats.

wigamer said...

I may regret coming out of anonymity, I don't know. Here goes nothin':

I've wondered why this woman engenders so much hatred, and the only thing I can come up with is that she must represent something bigger than herself. The vitriolic reaction to her is sometimes so out of proportion to her actual "crimes". I find her disagreeable and annoying, and her choice to expose her children to the world seems to be a terrible mistake.

But I think it goes deeper than Kate's many foibles. I think she has become a lightning rod for some of the feelings that mothers in this country have to deal with. There is so much pressure on a woman to be (and look)perfect in our society.

Look at parenting books, parenting blogs, magazines, television, the message is clear: to be the ideal mother you have to breastfeed your children,and if for some reason you don't (you're probably too lazy and selfish) you must investigate every bottle nipple for toxic chemicals, though you probably won't be able to afford the safe ones. Thoroughly investigate immunizations, because if you don't your child will probably be autistic & it will be your fault. Organic baby food is the way to go, homemade preferably. Your child should be on a set schedule for sleeping (never on the stomach!) and eating. Wait, no, research shows attachment parenting is so much better, your kid needs to be with you 24/7. And that's just infancy.

In my opinion, (and it's just opinion) mothers are constantly sold a message of inadequacy, and Kate seems to have bought it hook, line, and sinker. Striving, striving, for perfection with her organic cooking, tummy-tuck, hyper-organization, crazy cleaning, rigid control. And she's proud of it. It's all designed to look great on the outside, but I promise you it's hollow and joyless on the inside. And it's all being brought to us via heavily edited phony "reality" TV footage that tries to make a character out of a real person. Yuck to all of it, I say!

Again, take all that for what it was worth...a very long-winded 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

It really amazes me as to how many are so 'inspired by' and in 'awe of' J & K, more specifically Kate. I have yet to see her do or accomplish anything that I, or any other typical American parent, or mother hasnt already accomplished generations over. When I see her can her own food, tend to several acres of farmland , sew the children's clothing from seed bags (including underwear), bake her own bread and 3 square meals a day from scratch, hand wash clothing and hang them out on the line to dry, all before sundown like my grandmother, a mother of 15 did, then I will me more than happy to give her just deserved KUDOS. Perhaps those that are in such awe of Kate should take a good hard look at generations past for something to be in awe of and aspire to as they set a standard above and beyond that even exhausted Kate cannot live up to on a good day!!Women of generations past did this day in and day out without helpers, nannies, maids, laundry folders and ironers,freebies, and most importantly a FULL TIME STAY AT HOME HUBSAND.

Carrie said...

What I find ironic is that during the Sara Snow episode, she seemed amazed by how you could cook with lots of fresh veggies (including mushrooms with a little dirt on them!). She strikes me as the kind of person who buys all of the organic pre-made convenience food and thinks she's giving her kids healthy food. Sure, she's cut out the pesticides, but does she look at the fat and sugar content? It takes more than just looking for the organic symbol to make sure your kids are eating healthy.

Having said that, I didn't have a problem with the Monkey Bread on Christmas. I have a feeling that very few of us could claim healthy meals on Christmas morning! ;-)

Fairy said...

Maybe that's why she's almost always shown in a pissy mood. Butter blockage. My teeth hurt just looking at her use gobs of honey on everything. It may be organic but it still breaks down as sugar.

Serena said...

wigamer - Thanks, I thought that was a very interesting comment... I'm going to feature it in a blog entry.

Maggie said...

If my children were throwing up on a regular basis for attention when they are three years old, I think I would have higher priorities than cooking organically.

Perhaps getting to the root of emotional vomiting should be more of a priority?

I try to buy more organic food when I shop, and more importantly the right kind of organic food, some of it doesn't seem worthwhile.

More importantly, my kids don't actually digest it.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to make a little note on the "unhealthy-ness" of butter and honey. 1. Butter may have saturated fat in it but it is not hydrogenated, which is what causes heart disease. 2. Honey is not "just sugar". It has MANY health benefits including antimicrobial and probiotic qualities...if it is raw, that is!

I am not getting on the "I love Kate, or I hate Kate" band wagon, just thought you should stick to facts when speaking about health. I do agree, however that just buying packaged organic food does not equal healthy...

WatchOverThem said...

It is quite well known that butter and raw honey have more natural fats and nutrition than processed sugar and hydrogenated margarine-type products. I think that the quantity is what has been called into question, along with Kate's misinformed organic food knowledge. Honey and butter are still processed as sugar and fat.

A balance in everything is good, as well as a passion for really learning what our core values mean. I'm sure Kate could find many good books on nutrition and organic foods that would benefit her image in these areas. It would also benefit her image if she removed the pretentiousness from her organic speeches, and really became well-informed about a part of her life and mothering skills that seems to be quite important to her, thereby giving her some relief to the comical persona she creates for herself.

the fisherman's wife said...

I'm sorry, I watch this show religiously and I am still at a loss as to when Kate is using all of this butter and honey and making all of these baked goods. I've seen the kids make Monkey Munch as a special treat and around Christmas, but I haven't seen more than in any ordinary kitchen.

Quite honestly, if so many of you dislike the show, why do you care so much? We only see approximately 20 fragmented hours of their lives each year, we truly no very little about them.

Serena said...

Quite honestly, if so many of you dislike the show, why do you care so much?

That's a very good question and, in fact, we do address that in the FAQ section which can be found on the home page of this blog (see the sidebar).

Mrs. Ricardo said...

I think that the first anonymous comment to this post hit the nail on the head...

"We see this family eat a meal maybe once every few shows. Unless we saw what she feeds her kids every day 24/7, I don't know how anyone can accuse her of feeding these kids straight to a death of heart disease."

I think that is the point... the Gosselins aren't exactly a role model for nutrition when all that we see in the few hours that we are exposed to them are "organic" things that aren't exactly heart or artery healthy...

Anonymous said...

You people are being so critical of Kate! She is pretty amazing at what she does, I mean, having 8 children and managing to cook healthy and take care of all of them 24/7...could any of you do it? This isn't the 18 or 19 hundreds! Many kids are lucky if their parents (particularly their mothers) are home on weekends, let alone all the time. Maybe she isn't the world's leading health cook, but she certainty tries! I know plenty of mothers who don't even bother making breakfast, lunch or dinner for their kids, they send them to a McDonald's or another fast food restaurant. My point: I highly doubt any of those 8 kids will have to deal with that.
So get over your petty jealousy and grow up! She is a fantastic mother and apparently you people can't seem to grasp that.

Mrs. Ricardo said...

There is not anything "petty" about it. People look up to Kate Gosselin, and that is a reason for concern.

Anonymous said...

Butter is better for you than that crap people call margarine. Research has proven it over and over. Moderation is the key. Heart disease is more attributed to refined sugars and carbs than anything.

mswestern said...

Except that Kate doesn't take care of her children 24/7. She and Jon are gone on speaking engagements at least twice a month, and she has more help -- paid and volunteer -- than anyone I know. Between Jon's being home full time and all the people they have helping out with childcare and household chores, Kate could spend her days doing everything BUT taking hands-on care of her children. This wouldn't bother me a bit ... eight kids are a lot of work, you get no argument from me there ... if they were only honest about it.

(BTW, Kate and Jon do give their kids McDonalds ... it's been shown on the show at least twice.)

twice baked said...

I think the point isn't about how healthy or not butter is, but that she claims to feed the children organic, healthy meals yet we have not (besides the episode she was preparing food before going to get her tummy tuck) seen her cook a balanced meal. We've seen their lunches: chips, grapes, crackers, and of course bottomless sippy cups of Juicy Juice. We've seen their "rare treats", but we haven't seen anything with any nutritional value.

Anonymous said...

I would never categorize Kate as a fantastic mother. Pretty good at delegation, yes, but as a mother no way. I hate to say it but the things you mentioned as proving her worth as a mom are superficial and can be accomplished by a housekeeper/nanny. She lacks the intangible loving quality of a "fantastic" mom. A fantastic mom would have been heartbroken to leave not one but a gaggle of sick children and then not left if possible. Have you noticed she never really interacts with her children - I have never heard her have a conversation with one of them beyond asking them to say their last name. Again, there is just that flatness and distance about her that works for the baseline care of children but nothing beyond that would make her fantastic.

Serena said...

She lacks the intangible loving quality of a "fantastic" mom.

Qualities possessed in abundance by the children's Aunt Jodi.

Anonymous said...

Yes, their Aunt jodi is the epitome of a fantastic mommy. You know you couldn't pick more accurate characters than if you went to central casting. Kate the egotistical and cold blowhard and then sweet, unselfish and loving Jodi. Oh, I bet Kate stays up at night dealing with that reality. It is like a study in dark and light. I bet you the G's will move just so they have an excuse to get Jodi off of the show.

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about butter beyond the fact that I use it because it tastes better. I will say, however, that sugar (while still sugar and not great) is better than high fructose corn syrup. I know absolutely nothing about organic food (except that I have an ex-boyfriend who was an organic farmer and said it is just a racket), but I do know that many people try to limit products with HFCS. Maybe Jon and Kate are ok with sugar (in moderation, I'm sure) but are trying to limit HFCS and just haven't really said it?

Anonymous said...

I have observed their meals that they show on the program quite interestedly and I have wondered if the tups and maybe even jon have a wheat or gluten and possibly dairy intolerance. Its not normal for such a young man to lose his hair so fast and jon seems to be aging prematurely. I wonder if the tups, if not allergic to gluten, are sensitive to it and I see kate constantly serving up easy glutenous food... cakes, pastries, cookies, crackers, pancakes, sandwiches, then adding a few grapes and calling it a meal.

I would not be surprised if jon's acnestry (and the tups and twins) predisposes him to a gluten and or dairy allergy. Koreans have traditionally eaten a lot of rice and veggies with small amounts of meat. All the bread and sugar Kate serves in various forms can't be healthy. I am of asian origin and have similar issues. I feel best on a diet of rice, lots of fresh veggies and meat as a side dish. Too much wheat makes me bloat and feel nauseated. I cant imagine eating it three times a day like the gosselins. Kate seems to be the only one in the family thriving on that kind of a diet.