One can only hope.

I think it would be wonderful if the Jon & Kate + 8 show would end after what is bound to be a hellish production schedule with this new season of 40-50 shows coming up. The children are getting older and more independent with thought, word and deed. With every episode they are becoming more effected by filming, scheduling and what the show has done detrimentally to the personalities of their parents and the dynamics of their family. It's unfortunate that there has to be this year for them to go through, but one must hit bottom before things can improve, at times. We can only hope. Hope that the contrived and scripted episodes that have become more and more painful and boring to watch get even more so this coming season, so that the kids can be free of the responsibility that their birth put upon them to maintain family income. (Seriously, FIFTY of them? But, it's just cameras and crew following the children around, not bumping into their space, needs, emotions or lives, right?) People will still watch, looking for the remaining "toddler" cuteness that is quickly fading and for the train wreck editing that does provide that macabre sort of entertainment. I will still watch, wondering when and what will finally take this immature and self-centered set of parents down. It won't be pretty, watching Kate have the tantrum of all tantrums when she finds that she really is just middle-class average and may not have the continuing income to keep her fab self up with spa days, surgery, lipo and botox without going back to work herself or requiring her husband to get an education and a better job, along with some ambition. He may jump ship as the show jumps...you know. Ongoing speaking engagements? Pahleeeze. She may have enough residuals to maintain some aspects of that lifestyle, residuals that should perhaps be held in trust for those 8 little reasons that created her 15 minutes of fame. Fame that has made her the "Hot Slut of the Week" on the "dlisted" site. Nice. As the tups become more Mady-like, will our disgust create a situation where the show becomes unprofitable? For Mady's sake, it may be her only way out.

I wish the best for this family in months and years to come, as there are many innocent children involved. I do see that Kate Gosselin (and Jon) are probably becoming WAY too big for their small-town, greedy, faux fame grabbing britches. I think their deceptive messages and greed will rip those britches to shreds, the sooner the better to get the kids out of production. I think that they can keep income from various avenues going for a while, but those avenues will become more and more of a "been there done that" cliché and so will they. I also see that the Gosselins are burning many bridges and this will be their ultimate downfall. It could very well be that the golden formula of cute little kids, inflammatory parents and the production/editing that created that fragile golden formula and the show's "success" would falter from some very small detail or influence. If the scales are tipped too much, the formula no longer works and I see the Gosselins becoming the largest flea on a dead dog. On behalf of the kids, one can only hope.

Free the Gosselin 8.

12 comments:

FIONA said...

Thanks for such a nicely written post. Nothing mean or hate invoked as so many people claim this site to be. I felt compassion and concern. I feel frustration at the parent's lack of good judgement. Mostly, I feel for the kids. When this falls apart, and it will....how will the children be affected. How will Jon and Kate's attitude and frustrations trickle (gush) down onto the kids. I just keep thinking over and over-what can this site do as a group??? Suggestions people....let's stand behind our words, what are our motives, and what have we accomplished?

FIONA said...

I understand what you are trying to convey...there are so many conflicting ways to parent etc...But I don't think this really pertains to Kate. I don't think Kate has the gut wrencing love for her children as most women do. I realize that is a strong statement, but it is my opinion and I will share with you why I think that. I think Kate has a mental/emotional instability that runs very deep. I think she doesn't feel that deep down love for her kids. I don't think she is bothered if her babies slept on their backs or tummies as long as they slept and she slept. I think she feels her needs must be met first...then she will deal with the kids. I also think Kate likes the appearance of being a great mom with clean, cute kids....but I think it stops there. Kate is cold. Kate is not good at being a mom...Some women aren't meant to be parents and I think Kate is one of them.

annie said...

I think Fiona brings up an interesting point. Many people today are having kids for the wrong reasons. It's like kids are a sort of status symbol for them...and the more (kids) they have, the better. Having children is a tremendous responsibility, and I just see a lot of people not taking it seriously. Being a good parent requires such a high level of unselfishness, and I don't see that in Jon and Kate.

Kate seemed so desperate to have children. Most infertile couples would be so thankful that they were blessed with twins. They would be content and satisfied. The question to me is, why did Kate need to have more kids? Does this reflect some type of emotional instability?

Mrs. Ricardo said...

I have a feeling that some of the Gosselin children may end up paying back their parents when they become adults by chastising them for what has been done to them. People get upset when they find a naked picture of themselves as a baby in the bath tub when they scan through a family photo album, so I am sure that it will be natural for the Gosselin children to feel disgust or robbed in some way when they take a step outside of their televised bubble and realize that they are the only kids that have been repeatedly shown sitting on a toilet on national television.

mswestern said...

I would be very surprised if Mady and Cara aren't already painfully aware of this.

iluveeyore said...

I respectfully propose that those 40 - 50 shows are not for one season. I think Figure 8 or TLC signed them up for 40 - 50 shows JUST IN CASE they wanted to produce that many, so they would not have to re-negotiate every season. They might just produce 10 and call it quits.

Anonymous said...

I do hope it ends soon, for the children's sakes. Not that I don't want to have updates periodically about how the kids are doing. But I don't want to see them sitting on the potty or crying over Kate's meanness weekly.
:-)

WatchOverThem said...

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the fact that Figure 8 and TLC could pull the plug early on this show. As a money maker, I wonder if they really would but then I think about what could possibly be shown of much interest with this family for 50 more episodes and can only hope it will end sooner. I know there will be challenges for this family as the show ends, but a quick ending would be such good news! They will have to work through ending stuff at some point, anyway.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that some of the Gosselin children may end up paying back their parents when they become adults by chastising them for what has been done to them.

You know the saying, be nice to your children for they will choose your nursing home. :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if parents of other sextuplets watch this show and what their reaction is.. do they think the Gosselins have it right or are way off the mark in raising their kids? Was any other sextuplet family offered this gig and didn't take it?

mamamitch said...

I have always wondered what Keith and Becki Dilley must think of this show!

Anonymous said...

It is bad Karma to wish others ill will and bad luck. This article did it in spades. I wish that all the blessings of life come to this family.